Wednesday, January 15, 2020

MID JANUARY APIARY REPORT by beekeeper Fred

Winter is progressing and we are now more than half way to glorious spring.  I have kept busy assembling frames and making sugar discs for feeding the hives this winter.  The good news is that both my hives and winter nucs are still at 98% survival!  Its reassuring to hear the hum emanating from the hive in mid-January.  Also, if the nuc survival continues to be high I might just attain my goal of NOT having to buy any package bees this year!

There is still a lot of winter yet to go, but why is my hive survival surpassing all past years?
-After a rough start in October this winter has been milder (at least so far), which is helpful.
-Is it just blind luck or have my beekeeping inputs been a factor?
-I have kept the hives and nucs well stocked with emergency sugar.  They have definitely been consuming it.  There were no signs of starvation is the lost hive and nuc.
-Is my mite control process of the summer and fall playing a significant role?
-Is the fact that most all my hives and all nucs have mite resistant queens (primarily Purdue Mite Biters) a factor?
-Is the low average age of my queens a factor?

I will be spending the remaining two months of winter keeping my hives stocked with emergency sugar, keeping my fingers crossed and pondering the above questions.  I wish I knew the answer.


No comments: