Wednesday, February 14, 2018

HIVE CHECK TODAY

It was a warm February day today; up in the lower 40's with the sun shining.   These conditions resulted in the bees performing cleansing flights.  Based on the number of golden spots in the snow and the small numbers of dead bees in the snow, it appears most bees were able to complete their cleansing flights and return to the hive.



I also used these warm conditions to check the availability of emergency sugar in each hive.  Most were OK, but I did add more sugar to many hives to ensure they will be good well into March.  Unfortunately I also discovered two more hives that did not survive the below zero temperatures of last week.  I have not had the chance to analyze any of my deadouts yet.

ALSO, remember there will be a ECWBA club meeting this Saturday.  See the events section of the blog for time and location.

No comments: