Thursday, July 12, 2012

 
FINALLY...my "troublesome" batch of melomel (mead).  why "troublesome"?  it took over a year and half!!!!  Not the normal 3 to 6 months.  For some reason - it just blew through it's sugars in race to the finish....and it was WATERY to the taster (me).  I kept adding honey.  Three months ago I added FOUR fruit juice concentrates (Raspberry/Apple).  Adding the juice gave it a nice color!

So - it's in the bottle and labeled.  But not ready yet - December/January I figure.  It had a little "edge" on it...that I believe will mellow in the bottle.

For those interested in the "terminology".  MEAD is honey wine.  MELOMEL is honey/fruit wine.  METHEGLIN is honey/herb wine.

I have to say I'm relieved to finally put that 5 gallon carboy away.....but I'm also brewing the next batch....IN MY HEAD for now....  I think I'm going back to a METHEGLIN.  (Lavender, Thyme, Rosemary, Savory, Cinnamon.....)

I only hope the girls make me enough HONEY this year :)

No comments: