Wednesday, May 6, 2015

LESSON FROM BEEKEEPER GERARD

I  learned  another  valuable  lesson  this  past  weekend.      I’ve  been  using  7  frames  in  8  frame  supers  for thicker  comb  which  makes  for  easier  extraction.    Since  I’m  increasing  the  number  of  hives  this  season  I had  to  put  foundation  in  some  of  the  hives.      So  I  put  7  frames  of  foundation  in  supers  on  my  strongest colonies  and  the  bees  decided  they  liked  the  idea  of  building  comb  between  the  frames,  perpendicular to  the  foundation.    So  I  had  these  “chimneys”  of  comb with  bee  tunnels  going  through  vertically.      Panic time.

So  I  did  a  bit  of  research  on  the  WEB  and  learned  that  you  have  to  start  foundation  with  8  frames  in  the box  so  the  bees  draw  out  the  comb  along  the  foundation,  and  then  remove  a  frame  and  reposition  them so  the  bees  draw  them  out  deeper.    Made  a  lot  of  sense  and  I  rectified  the  situation.    I’m  glad  I  caught my mistake  when I  did.    When  I  started  using  the  7  frame  method  last  year  I  already  had  drawn  out “wet”  frames  so  I  hadn’t  run  into  this  before.
The same would apply to those that use 9 frames in 10 frame boxes.

No comments: