Wednesday, February 21, 2018

CAUSE OF WINTER LOSSES? submitted by beekeeper Jon

Beekeeper Jon submitted this link to research being done at University of Wisconsin-Stout.  The link is for an hour long YouTube video and describes a bacteria (Serratia marcescens) transmitted by varroa.  After watching the video I said to myself "Hey! I've seem the same behavior in some of my deadouts this winter!".

The reseachers say they have seen this through out Wisconsin and Minnesota.  In addition they found it in one out of state package.

Again the varroa mite is the main method of transmitting the bacteria.   So we probably need to up our game on varroa mite control.  Nothing like a good challenge.  I, for one, will be adding a spring mite treatment and maybe an early summer treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSi5v9rtWo




No comments: