Friday, December 1, 2017

UPSTAIRS/DOWNSTAIRS???

We are now one third of the way through winter (October 1st through March 31st); four months to go.  I went out and checked the status of my hives on December 1st.   They were either humming or silent ( ie. dead).  There is no in between.  As of this check-up 96% were still humming.  The lost hives were probably do to varroa/viruses or being queenless; both had sufficient honey stores. 


The warm weather in November has had the bees out flying on many days during the afternoon.  I have seen conflicting opinions about whether these warmer temperatures are good or bad.  One opinion is that the bees will be consuming less honey to maintain the cluster temperature and that the bees can easily reposition to get to unused stored honey.  The second opinion is that the flight activity results in consumption of additional honey.  I guess this spring the bees will let me know who was right. 

During November I added emergency food to the top of each hive.  My emergency food is a 2 ½ lb. disc of sugar and will be available anytime throughout the winter when the bee cluster gets into the top brood chamber.  I will be checking on the emergency stores once per month throughout the winter.

The “experts” also say that during fall the bees should move to the lower brood chamber (downstairs) and fill the upper brood chamber (upstairs) with food for winter consumption.  While adding the emergency food I recorded the position of the cluster in each hive.  In 50% of the hives the cluster was in the lower brood chamber and in the remaining 50% of hives the cluster, to varying degrees, had moved to the top brood chamber.  Apparently not all my bees have been listening to the “experts” or they may have already consumed the stored food in the lower brood chamber.  Many area beekeepers reported their bees had not produced as much honey as normal during the summer.   Last year I had noticed some clusters in the top brood chamber in late fall but had not recorded the data so I couldn’t determine if the hives with the cluster already in the upper chamber were more likely to succumb later in the winter.  Last year I had good winter survival so I don’t think this is a major issue provided emergency food is always available.  I will be keeping a closer watch on the hives with the cluster already in the top chamber and will replenish the emergency food if necessary. 

After reviewing my field notes it appears the position of the cluster does not appear related to whether the hive had been fed sugar syrup during the fall. 

Two of three overwintering nucs are still humming. 

Winter is also the time to assemble equipment you will be needing for next year.  Bee equipment suppliers frequently have sales of various types throughout the winter.  Personally I am assembling a number of frames so that I can continue refreshment of the frame foundation on a 5 year schedule to minimize pesticide buildup in the brood nest wax.  In addition, I am building a few nucs for queen rearing next spring. 

Rumor has it that both package and queen prices will be increasing next year.  That adds a little motivation to ensure your bees survive through the winter. 

1 comment:

Gerard said...

Yes, we have to learn how to keep our colonies alive and to replace/increase with local bees from our survivor colonies.