Monday, September 16, 2013

Make mead

When I harvest...I set aside all the 'questionable' frames for last.  Those frames that are not completely capped.  I got (2) 22# pails of WET honey (tested at 22 on the refractometer).  This honey became mead.  The recipe for 5 gals only calls for about 15#, but I have a problem following directions!

I made one batch with white grape concentrate, honey, ginger, lemon and lime juice and zest.   The other was dark grape, orange juice and zest, ginger.

I used to have to get wine/mead supplies from Minnesota (Midwest brewing supply or something like that), or Needsome Supplies in FDL carried some things.  But now there's a fully stocked brew supply in FDL on s main.  THE CELLAR. (Beer stuff too!) http://www.thecellarhomebrew.com/
My storeroom smells fantastic...my mead's a bubbling away!

No comments: