Happy New Year!!! We have been treated to a rather mild winter so far. Hopefully this will translate to a high rate of colony survival come this spring. Now is a good time to start planning for the spring – especially package bee, nucleus hive, or queen purchases. Let’s have a prosperous beekeeping year!!!
1. At the January, 2012, meeting, the offices of president and secretary, are up for election. Here’s an opportunity to become involved as a volunteer in an organization serving fellow beekeepers. Please think about running for one of these offices. If you would like more information, please get in touch with ECWBA president, Jeff Champeau.
2. The Introduction to Beekeeping Class committee is moving forward with a class scheduled to start Thursday, January 26, 2012, and run for four consecutive weeks. Please encourage any new beekeepers that you know to sign up for the class. The class is currently being advertised in local shopper papers. The tuition for the class is $50.00 which includes books, materials, and a one year membership in the ECWBA. A second person may attend with the primary participant for an additional $25.00, but without materials included. Classes will be held at Ripon College, Ripon, WI, in the Todd Wehr Building. Class time is 6:30 pm until 9:00 pm.
3. Some of the meeting dates and places for early 2012 have been scheduled in already. Here’s what developed so far:
* Saturday, January 21, 2012, Ripon Public Library (Silver Creek Room), 120 Jefferson St., Ripon, WI, 9:30 to 11:00 am.
* Saturday, February 18, 2012, Fond du Lac Public Library, Fond du Lac, WI, 9:30 to 11:00 am. Craig Petros, Wisconsin state apiary inspector, will be the guest speaker.
* Saturday, March 17, 2012, Ripon Public Library, Ripon, WI, 9:30 to 11:00 am.
* May and/or June, 2012 (another field day???)
* July and September meetings to be determined.
Driving to Ripon Public Library: For new members, here is information for Ripon Library (There's also a MAP available above under ECWBA PLACES). It is located one block directly behind (north of) the Ripon City Building. The west end of Jefferson Street intersects with West Fond du Lac Street and the east end of Jefferson intersects with Blackburn Street. Both Fond du Lac and Blackburn Streets are State Highway 23/49. At the library, go downstairs to the Silver Creek Conference Room.
4. The Ledgeview Nature Center located in the Chilton, WI, area has contacted the ECWBA looking for a beekeeper. More specifically, the center is looking for a beekeeper to mentor one of their naturalists in the management of two beehives and an observation hive. For more information, please contact Stephanie at the nature center at telephone 920-849-7094.
5. A new ECWBA e-mail address has been established. This new address will be the general contact address for the organization. One benefit of the new address is that it can be handed off to future leadership such as a new president. From here on out, all e-mail correspondence directed to the ECWBA president can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
6. The new year also brings with it membership renewal time. The membership dues will remain $15.00 for a one year membership. One membership entitles the member(s) to receive the newsletter, to vote on officer elections and organizational business issues, and to hold a position as an officer. A membership may include more than one person (e.g. husband/wife, parent/child, etc.), but only one newsletter will be sent out and only one vote may be cast per membership.
Best of Beekeeping, Jeff Champeau - ECWBA President
Membership dues will be collected at the upcoming meetings. If you are unable to attend one of the next meetings, you may send your dues to one of the following ECWBA officers:
Jeff Champeau, ECWBA President - 145 North Wisconsin Street - Berlin, WI 54923
Or George Weigel,ECWBA Treasurer - 268 South Peters Avenue - Fond du Lac, WI 54935
If paying by check, please make check payable to East Central Wisconsin Beekeepers Association. A membership card and payment receipt will be returned to you promptly. Thank-you for your continued support of the East Central Wisconsin Beekeepers Association.